My beautiful baby girl turns one in a few days time (lucky birth date of 11/11/11!!). I have been wondering what to do for her birthday cake - I didn’t want to just do a boring old gluten free fruit cake, it needs to be birthday-ish after all!
So - here is the recipe for a gluten and dairy free little girls birthday cake - in my opinion, it tastes just as good as the wheat and dairy alternative and hopefully Isabelle will enjoy it as well.
300g Dairy free margarine
300g Caster Sugar
300g Gluten free self raising flour
4 drops Vanilla Extract
2 Tsp Gluten free baking powder
6 Tbsp Dairy free milk
Jam to spread in the middle
For the icing:
200g Dairy free margarine
400g Icing sugar
Food colouring and sprinkles (if desired)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190c / 170c (Fan) and line two 8” sandwich tins
2. Beat the margarine and sugar together until pale and fluffy
3. Beat in the eggs and vanilla essence.
4. Fold in the flour and baking powder and beat to combine
5. Add the milk
6. Bake in the oven for about 15 - 20 minutes until firm to touch and cooked right through.
7. Turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack then sandwich together with jam.
8. To make the icing, mix the dairy free spread with the icing sugar until it forms a creamy spreadable consistency and cover the cake entirely.